May birthstone meaning-
May birthstone is Emerald. Emerald is a precious gemstone and a variety of the mineral beryl colored green by trace amounts of chromium and sometimes vanadium. Beryl has a hardness of 7.5–8 on the Mohs scale. Most emeralds are highly included.
Quick emerald jewelry page for you-Emerald jewelry necklace
May birthstone earrings
May birthstone rings
What is May birthstone color-
Emeralds, like all colored gemstones, are graded using four basic parameters–the four Cs of connoisseurship: color, clarity, cut and carat weight. Normally, in the grading of colored gemstones, color is by far the most important criterion. However, in the grading of emeralds, clarity is considered a close second. A fine emerald must possess not only a pure verdant green hue as described below, but also a high degree of transparency to be considered a top gem.
In gemology, color is divided into three components: hue, saturation, and tone. Emeralds occur in hues ranging from yellow-green to blue-green, with the primary hue necessarily being green. Yellow and blue are the normal secondary hues found in emeralds. Only gems that are medium to dark in tone are considered emeralds; light-toned gems are known instead by the species name green beryl. In addition, a fine emerald will be saturated and have a hue that is bright (vivid).
History of May birthstone-
In the 1960s, the American jewelry industry changed the definition of emerald to include the green vanadium-bearing beryl. As a result, vanadium emeralds purchased as emeralds in the United States are not recognized as such in the UK and Europe. In America, the distinction between traditional emeralds and the new vanadium kind is often reflected in the use of terms such as "Colombian emerald".
Emerald Cut :
There is a type of square or rectangular cut you may found on emerald cut. The relative non-uniformity motivates the cutting of emeralds in cabochon form, rather than faceted shapes. Faceted emeralds are most commonly given an oval cut, or the signature emerald cut, a rectangular cut with facets around the top edge.
The Durability of the May Birthstone
All beryl, including emerald, has 7.5 to 8 ratings in the Mohs Hardness Scale which mean it is very durable. However, it is still prone to fissures and fractures so it is advisable to surround emeralds with protective metals. Doing so could prevent the stone from getting hit or rub by hard surfaces.
As you know the emerald is a very expensive stone and you should take extra care to prolong its life. Emerald is best for jewelry use because of its fairly hard gemstone. By nature, emeralds have impurities which make it prone to chipping or breaking.
Emeralds are not exposed to heat treatment to enhance its color. This is because most emeralds have numerous inclusions making it prone to crevices or cracks. To keep the stone like new, many used oils such as colorless cedar wood.
How to Clean Emerald
According to experts, safest and easiest way to clean gemstone is using soap and warm water. If you going to use steam or ultrasonic cleaners it will cause new fractures also worsen an existing one. Keep in mind you should exposing your emerald pieces of jewelry to intense heat, light, and chemicals.
May birthstone facts-
As you know Emerald is the birthstone of May. Below the Emerald stone facts.
- Emerald is the rarest gemstone in the world. Even the gemstone is rare than diamond.
- Emerald contains many colors.
- More value, more green. The most expensive emerald has a vivid green color. Sometimes you can found blueish hue in color.
- The emerald has it’s own internal appealing pattern that increase the gemstone value.
- Emerald is bigger than diamond. 2ct emerald is bigger than 2ct diamond.
- You can see the emerald in necked eye. Emerald is clearer.
- Emerald is sign of loyalty and romance.
- Emerald has a mystical power. It believes that the wearer of emerald get benefited of it’s mystical power.
Benefit of May birthstone-
- The gemstone helps to form healthier material relationship and love relationship.
- Science Emerald gemstone is related to brain, so wearing the gemstone enhance the concentration and develop memory of the student.
- It is highly recommended by astrologers as they know that wearing a emerald gemstone helps a person to overcome from the bad financial phase.
- The emerald increase confidence, relation and communication skills.
- Emerald is perfect for who feel shy to interact with others. Emerald will helps to interact with confidently and ignore lack of confident.
May birthstone gifts guide-
- Treat your self a piece of jewelry with emerald, if your birthday month is May.
- There could be no excellent gift then emerald who’s birth month is May.
- Increase healthier material relationship and love relationship by wearing a emerald jewelry or gifting a emerald jewelry set.
Traditional and Modern gift is: Emerald
Both the traditional and modern representation of the 55-year anniversary is emerald. The emerald’s deep green color gemstone is indicating to eternity and commitment, which makes perfect sense for a marriage of this length.
Top May Birthstone emerald jewelry
14k Gold Emerald and Diamond Necklace
Vintage Inspired Sterling Silver .04 CTW Emerald 18'' Necklace
Platinum and Lab-created Emerald and Diamond Necklace
14K Gold Dangle Earrings with 2.5 mm Round Gemstones
14K Gold Diamond Bezel-Set Bar Earrings
14K Gold 3mm Diamond or Emerald Geometric Earrings
14K Gold 0.26 CTW Natural Emerald Bezel-Set Earrings
14K Gold Oval Emerald and Diamond Accented Ring
Others information of Emerald-
Emeralds tend to have numerous inclusions and surface breaking fissures. Unlike diamonds, where the loupe standard, i.e. 10× magnification, is used to grade clarity, emeralds are graded by eye. Thus, if an emerald has no visible inclusions to the eye (assuming normal visual acuity) it is considered flawless. Stones that lack surface breaking fissures are extremely rare and therefore almost all emeralds are treated ("oiled", see below) to enhance the apparent clarity. Other treatments, for example the use of green-tinted oil, are not acceptable in the trade. The relative non-uniformity motivates the cutting of emeralds in cabochon form, rather than faceted shapes. Faceted emeralds are most commonly given an oval cut, or the signature emerald cut, a rectangular cut with facets around the top edge.